Sunday, March 25, 2012

Blog Post # 8

This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2




Both videos, This is How We dream Parts 1 and 2, were both quite interesting. Richard Miller discusses how multimedia can be used to change education and how communication is being changed.

In the videos he discusses two types of changes, fundamental and incremental. Miller also says that "technology is an incremental change, not a fundamental change." Everyday new forms of technology are being created and we are becoming more reliant on our computers for information rather going to the library to find information. Technology makes it easier for us to find out things, without having to do more than a click of a few buttons. Technology also corrects our mistakes, therefore dictionaries and other books are of a lesser need to us now.

One of my favorite quotes from the video is,"Ideas don't belong to us individually, but belong to us as a culture." This quote just goes to show you that technology also allows people to collaborate with others on ideas, which makes it easier for people to share the things they know with others, while still gaining knowledge themselves. Multimedia does make education more interesting and I can see myself using it one day in my classrooms. As I've stated in my other blogs, I will not be totally reliant on technology but I will still incorporate the ideas I have learned into my classrooms because I feel that they are important skills that will contribute to the teaching experience.

Carly Pugh's Blog Post 12




I absolutely loved Carly Pugh's Blog Post #12. All of her thoughts and ideas were pretty interesting and good. The video that she gave as an example, challenged me to shed some light on how I would respond to some of those questions. I love how she thought deeply about her assignment and gave examples of different topics in her playlist. She had such enthusiasm about her blog post and I just loved her videos throughout her post.

The Chipper Series



The Chipper Series was very interesting. I thought it was funny as well. The underlying message from the video was to not be like Chipper. Chipper procrastinated and did everything she could to take the easier route that did not require her to do any work. In the end it didn't do her any good because she was not as successful as should have been if she would have stayed in school and followed directions. Although the video was funny, it really made me reflect on my work ethic. I find myself sometimes behaving like Chipper did in the video and in reality this could very well happen to me or any student that wants to do school in their own way.
EDM for Dummies was pretty good video and showed exactly what a lot of EDM students are going through. It was funny and creative. Being creative is one of the hardest things for me to do, and after watching The Chipper Series and EDM for Dummies I really had no clue of what idea to come up with. I put a little thought into the assignment instruction and finally came up with something that fit me best. If I were to do a video for the class, I would probably take two EDM students and make a slightly exaggerated video of the different roads they took while in the class. One student would follow the rules in the class and do what they're supposed to do, while the other procrastinates and somewhat does what Chipper did by handling the class their own way. At the end of the video, I would show how each student's life ended up and compare the successes in life. The point of the video would be that if you follow the rules, you will have a better outcome.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn

Learn to Change, Change to Learn, is one of the many videos that I've watched in this class that has changed some of my views of technology in the classroom. In the video, different teachers discuss their different views on education and how it is changing everyday. Before taking this class I was not really educated on every side of the debate of technology in the classrooms, therefore my opinion was that I really didn't care that much for it. Now every week that I do my assignments for the class, I can say that my opinions have changed. I believe that education is changing everyday, and from experience I can say that if I don't change and grow with it, I will definitely be left behind. Change is good, especially in the classroom because it is teaching students not only the necessary schooling that they need, but skills they need in their everyday life.


Scavenger Hunt 2.0




1) The first thing I found on my scavenger hunt was the website Edmodo. Edmodo is similar to Facebook, but it's more specific to teachers and students. After creating my account I found that this website allows teachers to communicate with other teachers and students. Teachers can post assignments and homework on this site. There is a page for grades and a calender to keep the teacher organized. This is pretty cool and I'm sure very helpful for students and teachers.
2) The website that probably created this video was Animoto. They have a deal under pricing for teachers and students called Animoto Plus that costs $30 a year and $5 a minth. This is pretty affordable for both students and teachers.
3) The last thing on my scavenger hunt is Digimi. I found this website pretty cool. This website allows you to create avatars of yourself with one picture. You can create what you want it to look like by designing everything from its face to its clothes. This could be useful if you're trying to create a video that is entertaining as well as educational.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kiala!

    I also thought the Learn to Change, Change to Learn video was great. Before this class, I definitely did not have a grasp on how important technology was in the classroom. Like they said in the video, education is changing every day and we as educators need to keep up with all of the changes. Our students will most likely be a step ahead of us in technology, so if we don’t grow in our own knowledge we will be left behind.

    I also don’t think that I will be reliant on technology in my classroom, but I think that I will incorporate some of the ideas we’ve been learning during this class. Personally, I like the idea of collaborating online through Google Docs or Skype. It allows us to not have to meet face-to-face, but still able to work together.

    Good luck with the rest of your semester and college career!

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiala,

    I enjoyed reading your post. It seems you have gotten a lot from "Learn to Change, Change to Learn." Remember to add alt and title modifiers to every picture you use in your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete