Friday, March 9, 2012

Blog Post # 7

The Networked Student


I enjoyed the video The Networked Student. It showed how students can become their own teachers in a way. I'm definitely all for the networking student, although I focus my attention more on having a teacher there to teach students. It's important to have both web-based classes and actual teachers, in my opinion. Education is changing everyday and it's really important to teach students to think for themselves and raise questions that can stimulate their minds and encourage them to educate themselves further.
By being a "networked student," this gives you control over your own and education and helps you to build connections with other people. Sharing your ideas and getting feedback is healthy for students and beneficial to their learning. Networking gives the students a way to be more hands-on with their learning in my opinion. I like the idea and think that it should be blended with the traditional style of teaching.
"Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" It's simple to me! The networked student needs a teacher to guide and support them. Teachers are the most important base of the "building blocks" of learning. They are the go-to about everything that you may have questions about.It will always be necessary to have teachers because although technology is a resourceful and extremely educational tool in students' education, it's also important to have a live person guiding their educational journey.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN

This video, A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN, taught me a lot. I absolutely love this way of learning. I had never before heard of a PLN until I began this class. PLN's keep you organized and responsible. I love it because everything that you need it is easily accessible. I like how this seventh grader used her science class as an example to show how you can organize. She really taught me a new way to utilize tools on the internet.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kiala! I was assigned to your blog this week. Your blog post is VERY well written! I agree that students need both web-based teachers and actual classes to enforce what they are learning. It is a teachers job to guide and support their students! As for the PLE video, I agree with what you said. She really helped me organize my own PLN and get everything figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree that connectivism requires teachers - but teachers who do very different things than teachers in the past. Do you think you will be a networked teacher?

    ReplyDelete