Friday, March 2, 2012

Blog Post # 6

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture



Randy Pausch's Last Lecture was an amazing and inspiring video. I found it the most inspiring that he found the strength to continue on with his lecture even though he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. In this lecture entitled, Acheiving Your Childhood Dreams, he shares some personal goals that he had as a child and suggested ways in which others can do the same.
In this lecture he compared life to a football game. Pausch talked about how he learned the characteristics of teamwork and leadership. Both lessons, to me, are very useful tools that I can see myself practicing in the future with my students. Another lesson that I felt was very important was stepping outside of your comfort zone. This is important to me because I feel that a person would never know the extent of their full capabilities, unless they do new things. In fact, it's one of the most daring yet helpful things you can do in life. Challenging yourself is very important.
My favorite quote that Dr.Pausch used was that "brick walls show us how bad we want something." If we allowed every brick wall to stop us from reaching our goals, then how much in life would we really miss out on? A lot! Brick walls are put forth as an obstacle for you to overcome. That is an important lesson that I want to instill in my students, as a future teacher. I want to teach them not let a "brick wall" stop them from achieving their goals and to continue to push until you accomplish all that you set forth to accomplish.
I enjoyed this lecture more than I had anticipated to. The thing that stood out the most to me is that Randy Pausch used his own personal testimonials as a guide for this lecture. He opened himself up to students and taught important lessons while doing so. If I didn't have someone to model my teaching skills after, I have found that someone in Dr.Pausch.I hope that I can inspire my future students just as Randy Pausch did and teach them the same drive that he spoke of in his last lecture.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kiala,
    I enjoyed your post on Randy Pausch's last lecture. I agree that his life is an inspiration. I learned so much from him that I will apply to my teaching practices in my future career. I also think it is extremely important to motivate our students and make sure they know we expect the best from them. Great post and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kiala,
    I love your blog post. Randy Pausch's last lecture was amazing. I agree with Randy as well as you about not letting the "brick wall" stop us from chasing our dreams and goals. He have changed so many people lives through his last lecture. He is a man of honor to go through so much in life and be diagnosed with cancer. He still live his life to the fullest and stand death in the face. Good work on your post but do not forget to ALT and TITLE your images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. " Both lessons, to me, are very useful tools that I can see myself practicing in the future with my students." You do not identify the lessons. If you are referring to teamwork and leadership, those are not lessons.

    You address only one thing that will affect your teaching. With this one exception you did not follow the directions for writing about what he says about teaching. Here are the instructions you were to follow:

    "Think about the teaching methods he advocated and used at" Carnegie-Mellon. "Identify and comment on those techniques in a blog post of at least 4 substantive paragraphs. You MUST include a discussion which includes all of the things discussed by Dr. Pausch that you can use in your teaching. "

    ReplyDelete