Saturday, January 28, 2012

Blog Assignment # 1

A Little About Me:
Hello class! My name is Kiala Burnette, pronounced "Ky-la," and I was born in Gretna, Louisianna. I have lived in Louisianna, Texas, California, and Florida, but spent most of my life in Alabama. My mother Frances is bi-racial, therefore I have had the pleasure of experiencing the cultures of both my black and white heritages. I am the oldest of three daughters whose names are Demi and Kiara. Some of my favorite things to do are reading, singing, shopping, and eating. Family is very important to me and I enjoy spending time with them. My boyfriend,Jerrel, and I have been together for almost four years and we spend a lot of time together as well. An interesting fact about me is that I love candles and music. I believe that, when combined, they both can soothe anyone's stressful day.

I chose to attend the University of South Alabama, because it is close to my family and I could not imagine being living away from my support system. My love for children is my drive for choosing Elementary Education as my major. It has always been my dream to work with children. Unfortunately, I did not have the pleasure of having been taught by positive teachers and most of them did not care about us as students. My goal is to be the teacher I never had and touch as many lives as I can.

This is my first time blogging, and it may be challenging but I am always up learning and conquering new things. I am hoping that this class will teach me how to organize and manage my time better. Overall, I am looking forward to my experience in EDM 310!

What I learned from Randy Pausch:
I enjoyed Dr.Pausch's video on time management, and even though it was short, I was able to learn the things I do wrong and how I can fix them. Some of the main things that stood out in the video were the topics of goal setting and planning. Most times I find myself getting overwhelmed with everything that I have to do. When this occurs, I usually let it defeat me and discourage me from getting things done. So when Dr.Pausch said to "do the right thing," and not to "do the thing right," it really hit home with me. At times,I find myself focusing on how well I do the task instead of just giving it my best shot. Dr.Pausch also bought to my attention that I should break down my "to-do" lists and tackle the biggest thing first.
Before the video was suggested,I had never heard of Randy Pausch. I was very impressed at how that video touched on very important topics of time management in just roughly four minutes. This video was very helpful and I would like to start applying those lessons to my everyday life!

2 comments:

  1. "I did not have the pleasure of having been taught by positive teachers and most of them did not care about us as students." How sad.

    What do you know about Randy Pausch now? Did you try to find out anything about him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try not to get behind! Blog post 2 was due this past Sunday. Go ahead and complete Blog Post 3 before that one is late and finish Blog Post 2 as soon as you can.

    ReplyDelete